Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tim here, for the past six weeks I have been living the dream of being a house husband, working only 20 hours a week (if even that some weeks), reading books, and of course, cooking, cleaning, washing, and taking care of little Wrigley. I usually don't post stuff here, but I feel I should complete my experience by doing what essentially every other good Mormon woman does in her twenties, blog.

First off, I'd like to state that I do love little Wrigley. He has brought a lot of joy in our lives and makes our humble abode not so lonesome when the other spouse is gone. However, I find that this little mutt is honing in on me for my wife's attention. Sometimes it's frustrating when Elise says things like "he's my favorite" or "isn't he the most precious thing." Once upon a time those were phrases she use to tell me, and only me. Those were the days. Now, every time we kiss and snuggle the dog immediately gets between us and wants to participate as well (seriously, I'm not making this up). Now our closeness has drifted apart and we've become like every other couple who has a "little one" to worry about. In fact, Erin and Tyler use to complain about our Public Displays of Affection (PDA) and make/write gagging sounds (surprisingly, now the Dudleys have become big PDAers). I also find it interesting that "we" (please notice the quotation marks) bought Wrigley because it would keep Elise busy when I was occupied with bigger things, like Axis and Allies and school. Let me tell you, this has not been the case. For example, for every one time Elise takes Wrigley out to potty I have probably matched her threefold. More examples could be shared but I'll save all four of our readers from boredom by simply saying: I feel like I was tricked into allowing this K-9 into my home because he occupies more of my time than Elise's.

Recently I have become a master in the arts of dishwashing, laundry, house cleaning, and cooking. It only took two years of marriage, but I finally discovered that if you do your dishes immediately after eating your meal, or do a load of laundry every couple of days, your home avoids chaos and utter disaster. I should also give serious credit to Tower Cleaners for my laundry folding skills. Elise tells me that her clothing and towels have never looked so nice (sorry Verla and Joni). As for cooking, I'm proud to say that I've achieved the near unachievable, I've convinced a Southern Albertan that fish, is in fact, quite a tasty dish when prepared appropriately.

In sum, the past six weeks have been an eye opening experience. I'm grateful for my Mother and Grammy for taking care of me during the first 24 years of my life. However, greater thanks should be given to my extraordinary wife, Elise. She really is extraordinary. In the future she will most likely do a larger portion of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and dishes, especially when the little ones start coming along. As Miley Cyrus once said about her Liam Hemsworth I will also say about my Loo-who: "I love you more today than I did yesterday, but I will love you more tomorrow than I do today" (I'm sure Miley ripped that quote off from someone else).           

PS I make a killer grapefruit scone!



No comments:

Post a Comment