Sunday, July 27, 2014

Calgary Half Marathon

After months of training and approximately 40 lbs in weight loss, Tim ran his first half marathon!!! I am so proud of how he has made healthy changes in his life. This healthy change came about when I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I was having a hard time committing to going gluten free and didn't care that I now had an increased risk of stomach cancers or autoimmune diseases such as MS. I told Tim that by eating a crappy diet and having a family history of heart disease, he shouldn't be eating sugar but wasn't fixing that so until he made changes I wasn't going to either. Tim managed to commit to counting calories and eating healthy which meant I had to go gluten free. I am so grateful for my husbands support and now we are both pretty healthy!
To prepare for the half marathon we went to the Cynthia and Ryan Kershaw's house to carb load. Ryan has been a great friend to Tim by encouraging him every week at church and even went out running to be sure that he is using the right technique to run. (Who knew there was a technique for running!) It was crazy how Ryan out ate Tim.

A half marathon is 21.1km or 50 000 steps! Tim finished in about 2 hours and 5 minutes! Way to go Timmy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment